GelGreen™ is a sensitive, stable and environmentally safe green fluorescent nucleic acid dye designed to stain either dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels. GelGreen™ is far more sensitive than SYBR Safe. Unlike SYBR® dyes, which are known to be unstable, GelGreen™ is very stable, both hydrolytically and thermally. GelGreen™ is compatible with either a 254 nm UV transilluminator or a gel reader equipped with visible light excitation (such as blue LED light box, 488 nm laser-based gel scanner, or Dark Reader®). For detailed information, please visit the DNA Stain Technology page. GelGreen™ can be used for either post-electrophoresis gel staining or precast gel staining. For detailed protocols for use, please download the GelGreen™ Product Information Sheet. Also see our GelRed™ and GelGreen™ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelGreen™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelGreen™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in regular trash, providing convenience and reducing cost in waste disposal. For detailed test results, you may download a complete GelRed/GelGreen Safety Report. For new users, we recommend GelGreen™ 10,000X in water (catalog no. 41005), our latest formulation that eliminates the hazards of handling DMSO for better safety. We continue to offer GelGreen™ 10,000X solution in DMSO for established users who do not wish to change their existing laboratory protocols. Also see GelRed™ Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, our safer replacement for ethidium bromide. FEATURES
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator or a gel reader with visible light excitation: Replaces SYBR® or GelStar® with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications: Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing and cloning.
GelGreen and GelRed and their uses are covered by US patent numbers 7960498, 7803943, and 8232050. SYBR is registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc; GelStar is a registered trademark of FMC corporation; Dark Reader is a registered trademark of Clare Chemical.