GelGreen™ is a sensitive, stable and environmentally safe green fluorescent nucleic acid dye designed to stain either dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels. GelGreen™ is far more sensitive than SYBR® Safe. Unlike SYBR® dyes, which are known to be unstable, GelGreen is very stable, both hydrolytically and thermally. GelGreen™ is compatible with either a 254 nm UV transilluminator or a gel reader equipped with visible light excitation (such as blue LED light box, 488 nm laser-based gel scanner, or Dark Reader®). For detailed information, please visit the DNA Stain Technology page. GelGreen™ can be used for either post-electrophoresis gel staining or precast gel staining. For detailed protocols for use, please download the GelGreen™ Product Information Sheet. Also see our GelRed™ and GelGreen™ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelGreen™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelGreen™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in regular trash, providing convenience and reducing cost in waste disposal. For detailed test results, you may download a complete GelRed/GelGreen Safety Report. GelGreen™ 10,000X solution in water is our latest formulation that eliminates the hazards of handling DMSO for better safety, and is recommended for new users of GelGreen™. We continue to offer GelGreen™ 10,000X solution in DMSO for established users who do not wish to change their existing laboratory protocols. Also see GelRed™ Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, our safer replacement for ethidium bromide. FEATURES
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator or a gel reader with visible light excitation: Replaces SYBR® or GelStar® with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications: Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing and cloning.
Download the GelRed™ & GelGreen™ Flyer for more information.
GelGreen and GelRed and their uses are covered by US and international patents. SYBR is registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.; GelStar is a registered trademark of FMC corporation; Dark Reader is a registered trademark of Clare Chemical.