Resazurin Cell Viability Assay offers a simple, rapid, reliable, sensitive, safe and cost-effective measurement of cell viability. This kit performs at least as well as other commercial resazurin-based cell proliferation assay kits such as alamarBlue® or CellTiter-Blue®. Resazurin detects cell viability by converting from a nonfluorescent dye to the highly red fluorescent dye resorufin in response to chemical reduction of growth medium resulting from cell growth (1-3). Continued cell growth maintains a reduced environment while inhibition of growth maintains an oxidized environment. Reduction related to growth causes the redox indicator to change from oxidized (nonfluorescent, blue) form to reduced (fluorescent, red) form. The fluorescent signal is monitored using 530-560 nm excitation wavelength and 590 nm emission wavelength. The absorbance is monitored at 570 nm and 600 nm. The fluorescent or colorimetric signal generated from the assay is proportional to the number of living cells in the sample. Kit Components:
- Sensitive: Requiring as few as 80 cells for reproducible results
- Simple: Single-step homogenous assay
- Kinetic Monitoring: Reagents nontoxic to cells, thus allowing kinetic monitoring.
alamarBlue is a registered trademark of Trek Biosystems. CellTiter-Blue is a registered trademark of Promega Corporation.
1. Tottey, S., et al. Extracellular matrix degradation products and low oxygen conditions enhance the regenerative potential of perivascular stem cells. Tissue Engineering doi: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2010.0188 (2010).
2. Kanagaraj, R., et al. RECQ helicase associates with the C-terminal repeat domain of RNA polymerase II during productive elongation phase of transcription. Nucleic Acids Research doi:10.1093/nar/gkq697 (2010).
3. Gustafsson, A., et al. The antimicrobial peptide LL37 and its truncated derivatives potentiates proinflammatory cytokine induction by lipoteichoic acid in whole blood. Scandanavian J. of Clinical & Lab. Inves. DOI: 10.3109/00365513.2010.521255 (2010).
4. Muzumdar, R., et al. Acute Humanin Therapy Attenuates Myocardial Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury in Mice. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombiosis, and Vascular Biology DOI:10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.205997 (2010).
5. Tottey, S., et al. The effect of source animal age upon extracellular matrix scaffold properties. Biomaterials doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.09.006 (2010).
6. Sarker, S., et al. Microtitre plate-based antibacterial assay incorporating resazurin as an indicator of cell growth, and its application in the in vitro antibacterial screening of phytochemicals. Methods 42(2):321-24 (2007).
7. Petrenko, Y., et al. The Reduction of Alamar Blue by Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes and Isolated Mitochondria. DOI612.112.94:576.311.347 (2005).
8. Palomino, J., et al. Resazurin Microtiter Assay Plate: Simple and Inexpensive Method for Detection of Drug Resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy DOI: 10.1128/AAC.46.8.2720
Shipment Method: Shipping and handling methods will be assessed and calculated at time of shipment based upon item(s) storage temperature conditions.
Expedited shipment may be requested at time of checkout.
Please note that products with recommended storage at 4°C or -20°C may ship at ambient temperature. This will not affect product performance. When you receive the product, place it under the recommended storage conditions.
More information about product handling and shelf life