GelRed™ is an ultra sensitive, extremely stable and environmentally safe fluorescent nucleic acid dye designed to replace the highly toxic ethidium bromide (EB) for staining dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels or polyacrylamide gels. GelRed™ is far more sensitive than EB without requiring a destaining step. GelRed™ and EB have virtually the same spectra, so you can directly replace EB with GelRed™ without changing your existing imaging system. For detailed information, please visit the DNA Stain Technology page. GelRed™ can be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels via either precast or post gel staining. GelRed™ can also be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in polyacrylamide gels via post gel staining. GelRed™ is also compatible with downstream DNA manipulations such as restriction digest, sequencing, and cloning. For detailed protocols for use, please download the GelRed™ Product Information Sheet. A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelRed™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelRed™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in regular trash, providing convenience and reducing cost in waste disposal. For detailed test results, you may download the GelRed™/GelGreen™ Safety Report. GelRed™ 3X in water is ready-to-use for post-electrophoresis gel staining, and is supplied in a 4L cubitainer. Biotium also offers GelRed™ 10,000X solution in water (catalog no. 41003).
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator : Replaces EtBr with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications : Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing and cloning
Download the GelRed & GelGreen Flyer for more information. Please also see our EvaGreen® dye, a breakthrough nucleic acid dye ideally suited for quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR). By incorporating a smart “release-on-demand” DNA-binding technology, EvaGreen™ has low PCR inhibition while exhibiting superior sensitivity. Similar to GelRed™, EvaGreen™ is non-toxic, non-mutagenic, and remarkably stable. GelRed and its uses are covered by US patent numbers 7960498, 7803943, and 8232050. SYBR is trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.