The loss of mitochondrial membrane potential is a hallmark for apoptosis. It is an early event preceding phosphatidylserine externalization and coinciding with caspase activation (1,2). JC-1 Mitochondrial Membrane Potential Detection Kit is used to measure mitochondrial membrane potential changes in cells. In non-apoptotic cells, JC-1 accumulates as aggregates in the mitochondrial membranes, resulting in red fluorescence (590 nm). The brightness of red fluorescence is proportional to the potential and varies among different cell types. However, in apoptotic and necrotic cells, which have diminished mitochondrial membrane potential, JC-1 exists in the green fluorescent (529 nm) monomeric form (3-5). This kit provides a step-by-step protocol and ready-to-use reagents for performing >100 assays for flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, or fluorometric microplate reader.
1. J Ocular Pharmacol Therapeutics (2011) doi: 10.1089/jop.2010.0143
2. Breast Cancer Research 12, R49 (2010).
3. Breast Cancer Res. Treat (2010) doi: 10.1007/s10549-010-1085-7
4. J Immunol 184, 1111-1120 (2010).
5. Exp Hematol 31, 815 (2003).
6. Br J Haematol 108, 574 (2000).
7. J. Neurochem 70, 66 (1998).
8. Cytometry 29, 97 (1997).
9. FEBS Lett 411, 77 (1997).
10. Anal. Chem (2013) doi: 10.1021/ac3025812
Shipment Method: Shipping and handling methods will be assessed and calculated at time of shipment based upon item(s) storage temperature conditions.
Expedited shipment may be requested at time of checkout.
Please note that products will be shipped at ambient temperature. This will not affect performance if the products are kept at the indicated temperature for long term storage. Please refer to the package insert for correct storage conditions.
More information about product handling and shelf life